Tuesday, November 08, 2005

More on Polar Time

So, the time zone used at the Amundsen-Scott station at the South Pole is synched with the time zone used at McMurdo Sound and at Christchurch, New Zealand. Christchurch is a historic launching point for Antarctic Expeditions and McMurdo Sound is a large body of water, like a huge bay that is the location of McMurdo Station. McMurdo Station is the base of operations for many Antarctic research projects and the home of the National Science Foundation Antarctic Field Office. This is where I will be landing first when I reach Antarctica.

Also, check out the new links I have added to the side bar. In particular, the Center for Astrophysical Research in Antarctica. Its run by the University of Chicago Astronomy and Astrophysics Department, my home at the UofC, and has tons of information about science in Antarctica and even virtual tours of a typical trip to the South Pole, like my own.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alec said...

I stumbled across your blog, which looks very interesting. I've added it to my favourites, and I'll follow your journey - good luck!

Have a look at my blog: http://valleylost.blogspot.com

Tue Nov 08, 11:36:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home